Hôtel de l'Académie
The motto "NE QUID NIMIS" ("nothing to excess") on the pediment dates from the humanist sixteenth century. Although it was completed in the seventeenth century several periods of history have left their mark on the residence: Renaissance decoration can be seen in the courtyard and the oldest part of the mansion dates back to the fifteenth century.
The mansion was sold to the Académie de Nîmes in 1919 and became its headquarters. For more than four centuries, this Academy has grouped scholars of Nîmes, forming a "royal academy" whose vocation is both intellectual and humanist. In the twentieth century, its members included famous personalities such as Louis Leprince Ringuet, André Chamson, Jean Paulhan, Marc Bernard Léopold Sedar Senghor and others.